Thursday, October 16, 2014

I Am Blop! by Herve Tullet

one of my favorite spreads

I knew from the font and the unique color and shape of the book I saw on the rack that it was Herve Tullet's newest book. The French author has such a recognizable artistic style and his books are ultra colorful, and quite clever. His last book "Press Here" was a huge hit with many kids, including my own. Needless to say, I'm a big fan. 

I Am Blop! is a picture book that is more art and action than traditional story. This shape called Blop takes on colors, ideas, changes, and even osmosis within the book and becomes a funny and smart peek at the acts of creativity, repetition, and boundaries. Alright, so that sounds a bit academic, but this few-worded book is so inventive that both my kids wanted to keep it in their bedrooms for going through night after night.

Blop is just an ordinary, four-sided shape that becomes special with each new idea layer. For example, what if Blop had dots? What if Blop was scribbled? Unfinished? 3-Dimensional and made of clay? It's the same shape, but it's different every time. Tullet has such a gift with his kid inspired art books because of the playful spirit his non-human art forms take on. This book is an excellent art and conversation starter, perfect for any age, old or young. 




No comments:

Post a Comment