Thursday, June 18, 2015

Grandma's Attic series by Arleta Richardson

*please note there are four books in the series, not just three!*

I first heard of Grandma's Attic by Jamie Martin of Steady Mom blog, years ago. I knew when I first put them on my amazon wishlist that they were too old for my kids at the time, but I wanted to keep them on there to remind my future self to not forget about them! 

Fast forward to this Fall, when One Stop Learning in Surrey, BC was going out of business, and I happened to be there at the right time. This education store was a great store, and I was sorry to see it go, but I did find some excellent materials, including games, kits, and plenty of literature. Not only did I find excellent material, including the four (only three shown above) Grandma's Attic chapter books, but everything in the store was 75% off because they were closing, and my purchase order number footed the bill! What a steal, indeed. 

We've finished these first three of the four, and once I have the next two books we're reading aloud done, we'll start on the fourth book. These books are similar to the Little House books in the sense that they are set in the same historical time period, happened to an impressionable young girl (and often her best friend, Sarah Jane, as well). They are dissimilar in the way that each chapter of the books are a 'lesson learned' by the author, who is telling her granddaughter these stories and goes into narrator after a brief introduction. As far as the 'series' goes, they aren't really a series as much as story following and building upon each book. They are just simple and lovely stories within each chapter, and if she wrote them all in one book it'd be huge, so they made them into 4 books instead, about 150+ pages each. 

Both my kids really enjoy these books and I quite love reading them aloud myself. They're easy to read and many are quite funny. Each chapter is about 12-15 pages, and they're just enough of a story to read right before bedtime, or one during lunch. The writing is excellent, and you can feel the warmth of Arleta's stories through the pages. These are excellent for kids ages 5 and up, and come highly recommended!



No comments:

Post a Comment