Thursday, July 9, 2015

My Father Knows the Names of Things by Jane Yolen


It's no secret that author-extrodinaire Jane Yolen is one of the most prolific children's authors in the world. Her book My Father Knows the Names of Things is one of my favorites as of recent. I am just kicking myself that although I had it planned out, I forgot to post this one before Father's Day, when it could have been a sweet read between dads and kids. 


This sweet picture book is a book about a dad telling his child everything he knows, while they explore the world together. The names of fish, clouds, bugs and all other things, he shares with his son. The story is a great reminder that children are looking to us, always, to impart knowledge, character, actions and behavior.

The relationship between these two is positive--they are sharing quality time, conversation, and the father imparting 'everyday knowledge' to his son, who finds the world at large curious, and fascinating. 


This story has really soft and gentle illustrations as well, which goes together  well with Yolen's rhyming story. They paint the bonding between the two as child-like, with scribbles coming out of the lines and soft splots of color. This gives the book a feeling of fun, adventure, yet tenderness and care. This book is a reminder of the love between a father and their child.

No comments:

Post a Comment